Friday, October 16, 2009

In The Federal Court of Canada...

I lost, but I'm proud of my effort. I'm proud of the Federal Court of Canada. I'm proud of the Access to Information Act. I'm proud to be a Canadian.

The following judgement is the result of almost three years of effort on my part - worth every second of it - to get the Government of Canada to tell the truth about prisoners taken by Canadian Forces in Afghanistan.

To me, it's remarkable that an ordinary Canadian citizen can take the government to court, even if the citizen does not have the $500,000+ necessary to have proper legal representation, and be heard respectfully, carefully, and thoroughly. I couldn't ask for more. I am reassured that I live under the rule of law, and not by some arbitrary hand.

Having said that, this isn't over. In the remote possibility that anybody from the Department of Justice reads this, that does not mean proceeding to an Appeal. So not. I've had my day in court and was heard.