Monday, April 5, 2010

DON AS GOVERNOR-GENERAL




RON MACLEAN
Welcome back to House of Commons Night in Canada after the Easter long weekend. I'm Ron MacLean here with Don Cherry. Grapes, I know you've got a lot to talk about, at the end of the regular season...

DON CHERRY
Absolutely....

RON MACLEAN
And yet we have to get to the buzz that's going around...you're in the running for Governor-General.

DON CHERRY
So Kiprusoff just couldn't stone Chicago. In my books, he's still the best goalie in the universe but you can't win a game all on your own. Next year.....NEXT YEAR... the Flames will be back in contention because of this guy.

RON MACLEAN
Yeah but we're pressed for time, as usual, and we have to get to the Governor-General rumours...

DON CHERRY
What's wrong with Michelle Gene? She's already the Governor-General, and like I said before, she shoulda been the one handing out Olympic medals rather than Dick Pound...

RON MACLEAN
Yeah, we've been here before, but the fact is, the Prime Minister is looking for a new Governor-General, and your name has been floated as a hot candidate.

DON CHERRY
Look, I'm honoured to be considered. But I've already got a job.

RON MACLEAN
You don't want to move into Rideau Hall?

DON CHERRY
Well, Blue might like it. There's a lotta trees. Now that I think about it, could I have a backyard rink?

RON MACLEAN
I don't see why not...

DON CHERRY
And can I still do Coach's Corner?

RON MACLEAN
You'd have to ask the Prime Minister, but why not? Rideau Hall might need a bigger beer fridge.

DON CHERRY
I don't see that as a problem.

RON MACLEAN
Me either...

DON CHERRY
But in this day and age, you gotta speak both official languages...

RON MACLEAN
You used to play in Three Rivers...

DON CHERRY
Yeah, but that was different. I did my talking on the ice: it's the same in English and French.

RON MACLEAN
So if not you, then who?

DON CHERRY
I think Hayley Wickenheiser is the obvious candidate. She's a woman, she's a hockey player, she's a Gold Medal winner, and she probably speaks all five official languages.

RON MACLEAN
I didn't know there were five...

DON CHERRY
At least five. I'm sure one of them is Ukrainian. Isn't Hayley from Saskatchewan?

RON MACLEAN
I'm not sure we want to go there...

DON CHERRY
You don't want to go to Saskatchewan?!

RON MACLEAN
I didn't exactly say that...

DON CHERRY
Or why not Gordie Howe? He's in as good a shape as I am, and he can skate better.

RON MACLEAN
So that's it for House of Commons Night in Canada...

DON CHERRY
Does Rideau Hall have a pool table?

RON MACLEAN
If it doesn't, you could install one.

DON CHERRY
You know, I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

RON MACLEAN
You'll have to inspect the Governor-General's Horse Guards. Will you wear sunglasses?

DON CHERRY
Hey, is the Pope Catholic?

RON MACLEAN
Let's not go there.

DON CHERRY
Why, is the Pope in Saskatchewan?