Friday, April 16, 2010

Harper Grounded by Mount Doom

Smoke and steam hang over the volcano under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier in Iceland. (Brynjar Gaudi/Associated Press)
"At that moment Sam felt a tremor in the ground beneath him, and he heard or sensed a deep remote rumble as of thunder imprisoned under the earth. There was a brief red flame that flickered under the clouds and died away. The Mountain too slept uneasily." Lord of the Rings


RON MACLEAN
House of Commons Night in Canada is back in session, and I'm Ron MacLean here with Don Cherry. Don, we'll get to the hockey in a minute...

DON CHERRY
...during which Luongo might kill me. I still think he's trying to give me a heart attack. Maybe he's after my job.

RON MACLEAN
Grapes, nobody is after your job 'cause nobody else could do it.

DON CHERRY
Maybe nobody else wants to do it, but I gotta say, Ottawa is really putting on a show...

RON MACLEAN
Hockey or politics?

DON CHERRY
Are you kidding me? Politics! I mean, there are at least four out of control fires burning in Ottawa...

RON MACLEAN
The Senators are on fire...

DON CHERRY
And I'm not talking about the Senators. You've got the Afghan detainee thing with Richard Colvin, the Helena Gorgeous affair...

RON MACLEAN
...I think it's pronounced "Guergis"...

DON CHERRY
...you can say it however you want... you've got your Rights and Democracy, and then the whole Afghanistan translator business, all fires out of control...

RON MACLEAN
...and your point is?

DON CHERRY
Where's the Fire Department? Where's the PM? He's out of town!

RON MACLEAN
But surely he has important international obligations...

DON CHERRY
Don't call me Shirley, and so what? His job is here, the Prime Minister of Canada, a job he asked for, his government falling apart from the inside, and his biggest priority is attending a Polish funeral?! Give me a break. I'm sure Polish funerals are a good time, I've been to more than a few fantastic Polish weddings, but he could have sent the Governor-General as head of state...

RON MACLEAN
So...?

DON CHERRY
So he's taking a dive! You can't ignore it. He took a dive two times before when he perogied Parliament...

RON MACLEAN
It's "prorogued," Don...

DON CHERRY
You can say it however you want, and if you look back, he punted the whole Afghanistan problem to John Manley, a Liberal, and basically, when the going gets tough, Harper leaves town...

RON MACLEAN
So how do you see things playing out next week?

DON CHERRY
Harper's doom awaits him on Monday, on the ice. He can run but he can't hide. It's The Volcano Of Destiny. There's no way he can avoid it unless he dies. What's he gonna do now, get a note from the Governor-General? "Dear Mr. Speaker, Stephen isn't feeling well..." There's a bunch of guys lining him up, the most important being Derek Lee who is just...steamed.

RON MACLEAN
Maybe we should get back to hockey....

DON CHERRY
What's the difference?

RON MACLEAN
I'm not sure any more.

DON CHERRY
I think you're just overwhelmed by my dress sense.

RON MACLEAN
Absolutely.