Monday, April 12, 2010

The Great Train Wreck

Canada's National Security State Comes Off the Rails
RON MACLEAN
Welcome to House of Commons Night in Canada. I'm Ron MacLean here with Don Cherry. Grapes, the NHL regular season has finally expired, and we're looking at some interesting playoff matches, Ottawa and Pittsburgh being one. How do you see things working out?

DON CHERRY
So, I wanna talk about the hit Derek Lee put on Rob Nicholson. This is how the game of parliamentary democracy should be played. Nicholson comes out of his own zone with the puck, head down, and Lee on the backcheck just lays him out. A great, clean, open-ice hit. You don't have to see the replay, go upstairs, slow motion, any of that. Beautiful.

RON MACLEAN
But I don't see what that has to do with the playoffs....

DON CHERRY
Are you kidding me? That IS the playoffs. You wanted to talk about Ottawa...

RON MACLEAN
...in the playoffs...

DON CHERRY
This IS the playoffs. Whaddya want? I mean, Roy MacGregor has this column in the Globe, moaning about how Canadian politics is dull. I love Roy, don't get me wrong, but I think he's got a giant Olympic hangover. Roy! Let...it...go...!

RON MACLEAN
But getting back to the NHL playoffs...

DON CHERRY
..which haven't even started. Meanwhile, Richard Colvin is appearing before the Canadian Military Police Complaints Commission tomorrow...

RON MACLEAN
...a barn-burner for parliamentary democracy fans...

DON CHERRY
Yeah, and that isn't even the main attraction...

RON MACLEAN
You're talking about Helena Guergis?

DON CHERRY
Who's Helena Guergis?

RON MACLEAN
If you don't know, I don't think I can explain it...

DON CHERRY
Yeah, well whoever she is, she isn't Speaker Milliken who's got to show up for the motions of contempt before the House....

RON MACLEAN
Remind us what that's about?

DON CHERRY
I can't believe I have to explain this to you. Look at my suit!

RON MACLEAN
Yes, it appears to be a tasteful motif of Guy Fawkes' confession...

DON CHERRY
And the tie? You haven't mentioned the tie!

RON MACLEAN
...features a reproduction of the Magna Carta superimposed on the Stanley Cup.

DON CHERRY
Thank-you!

RON MACLEAN
Until next time, that's it for House of Commons Night in Canada.

DON CHERRY
Did you read Derek Lee's speech in Hansard?

RON MACLEAN
I haven't got there yet, no.

DON CHERRY
It's a thing a beauty. CPAC has high-definition slow motion replays, and you can control the camera angle!

RON MACLEAN
Awesome.