Friday, September 17, 2010

House of Commons Night in Canada Wrap-Up, 2010




RON MACLEAN
Well it's been a long season, but it's finally over. I'm Ron Maclean here with Don Cherry for our wrap-up of the 2009-2010 season on House of Commons Night in Canada. Grapes, what's your take?

DON CHERRY
Is it over?

RON MACLEAN
I think so. Parliament is about to resume sitting after the summer recess.

DON CHERRY
You know, when I was a kid, you knew it was hockey season when the lakes froze. Now it's all hockey all the time.

RON MACLEAN
Yes, but what does that have to do with the House of Commons?

DON CHERRY
You tell me! Only today we have somebody talking about Question Period in the House of Commons, saying if there weren't any fights, nobody would watch! No hits, no hockey, no House of Commons!

RON MACLEAN
Yeah, but a lot of people would say it's not just about the audience numbers, it's about what they're watching. After all, a lot of people in Rome showed up to watch gladiators killing each other.

DON CHERRY
I think you're making some kind of point, but I don't know what it is.

RON MACLEAN
If there's a bench clearing brawl in the House of Commons, what use is that to the Government of Canada?

DON CHERRY
It's a very healthy outlet for aggression and frustration that otherwise would result in people buying long guns and killing each other.

RON MACLEAN
So you're in favour of the Gun Registry?

DON CHERRY
All I'm saying is that visors are for sissies.

RON MACLEAN
So how do you see the new season in the House of Commons?

DON CHERRY
Like I said, the last season isn't over, and the whole Afghan prisoner thing hasn't gone away. It's not a matter of playing late in the spring, it's getting to be where we're playing all year long, when we should be at the lake drinking beer.

RON MACLEAN
But the Prime Minister went to the lake and drank beer this summer.

DON CHERRY
I want proof.

RON MACLEAN
So that's me and Don until next season on House of Commons Night in Canada, which will be next week.

DON CHERRY
I'm still watching reruns of Crosby's goal. I still haven't seen it.