...so fuck off.
July 1, 2015
My fellow Canadians,
Whatever your political views, I think it's obvious that we're all in this together: we're all Canadian citizens,
Declaration of Independence from NATO
1. We are not NATO citizens.
2. NATO is a military alliance from which we can withdraw at any time, giving six months notice.
3. As the International Committee of the Red Cross has said, international agreements, such as the Geneva Conventions, are made between and among nation states.
4. Some international agreements - such as the Statute of Rome that Canada has signed - provide for international law taking precedence over national law where grave breaches of international humanitarian law ("war crimes") are concerned.
5. The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled - unanimously - that Canada's international human rights obligations are binding [2008 SCC 28]
6. The idea that our obligations to NATO take precedence over our international human rights obligations is preposterous.
7. The idea that our obligations to NATO take precedence over Canadian law - and in particular, the Criminal Code of Canada - is equally preposterous.
8. The idea that our obligations to NATO take precedence over our own foreign policy is even more preposterous.
9. The idea that our obligations to NATO require us to collude in war crimes is just stupid.
Happy Canada Day, everybody.
PS; Dear Google, your Canada Day artwork of two people canoeing is also preposterous. The canoe doesn't look like a canoe, and the paddlers seem not to know the difference.