Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hockey for Americans



RON MACLEAN
Welcome back to House of Commons Night in Canada. I’m Ron MacLean here with Don Cherry. Grapes, it’s been an interesting couple of days…

DON CHERRY
INTERESTING??!! I still think Luongo’s trying to kill me. Maybe I died and was brought back to life by CPR…

RON MACLEAN
The Canadian Pacific Railway?

DON CHERRY
That too.

RON MACLEAN
And now of course Montreal has bounced Pittsburgh out of the playoffs, knocking off the Stanley Cup defending champions after defeating the league-leading Washington Capitals…

DON CHERRY
You know, there’s nowhere left for me to put my nitroglycerine patches except my scrotum, and I heard expert medical advice that the absorption there is better than anywhere…

RON MACLEAN
You should ask Sami Salo…

DON CHERRY
I'm not sure he can talk yet…

RON MACLEAN
And now the Speaker of the House of Commons, Speaker Milliken, is waiting "patiently" for the House to produce documents about prisoners taken by Canadian Forces in Afghanistan...

DON CHERRY
Yeah, it's going to come down to a respect for the truth...

RON MACLEAN
Which is...

DON CHERRY
Exactly what it says. You can talk the talk, you can walk the walk, but there's only one guy holding up Lord Stanley's Cup...

RON MACLEAN
And what about the fabric of Lord Stanley's Cup...?

DON CHERRY
It's available at Fabricland...

RON MACLEAN
So what's your take on Pittsburgh's too many men on the ice penalty?

DON CHERRY
I knew you'd ask me that! It brings back a lot of bad memories...

RON MACLEAN
And how does that fit with the Minister of Justice, Rob Nicholson, who apparently is gung-ho on Mixed Martial Arts?

DON CHERRY
You know, I'm not a guy to avoid fisticuffs, but if you want to watch a fight, you don't need the NHL, and if you want to show how manly you are, you can show up in the House of Commons and not be a skulking loser at Niagara Falls Flyers' game in the bar after the disaster.

RON MACLEAN
And that's it for us until Friday here on the House of Commons Night in Canada.

DON CHERRY
Mike Richards is keeping Philly in the game.

RON MACLEAN
Do you see a Montreal-Boston semi-final?

DON CHERRY
It would be Armageddon.